Rachel's Reviews > The Water Wars

The Water Wars by Cameron Stracher

F 50x66
May 18, 2012

Read in May, 2012

Water Wars is an outstanding book, written by Cameron Stracher. The book is a glimpse into a disturbing future of war and suffering without one of the worlds most needed resources, water. This book shows us how a group of kids goes about trying to survive and bring hope to their families, while a hateful government tries to bring them to their end. It shows us a future that is so disjointed from the life we know that it's impossible to put it down until the end. This book shows a future where "water is more precious than gold or oil".

The book opens in the Great Pacific, modern day America, a country destroyed by war and drought. What water is left is kept in secret and locked away by the government. The people must kill to find water because as of now the only water they are given comes from the ocean. We later meet Vera an Will who are brother and sister fighting to keep their mother alive. The author does a great job describing the protective relationship between the two and showing Vera's determination to find answers.
Vera later meets Kai, a mysterious boy with some sort of unlimited supply of water. When Kai disappears with no sign of return Vera and Will know somethings wrong. They set off on a journey that will lead them places they never saw coming.

Vera and Will now must battle to keep themselves and their new found friend away from the grasp of pirates, environmental extremists, and very greedy government that will do anything to have them killed. To find out what happens to them and the planet read Water Wars by Cameron Stracher and hope this isn't a glimpse of of our future.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Water Wars.