Andrew's Reviews > Killer Instinct

Killer Instinct by Zoë Sharp

M_50x66
May 18, 12

Read in May, 2012

Charlotte (Charlie) Fox has a history with Special Forces in the British Army which did not end well. As a direct result the relationship with her parents did not go any better. Charlie was not to blame and now she is living in Lancaster, in the North of England, with friends and a rewarding career passing on self-defense skills to (mainly) women. Life is peaceful until girls start dying in horrible ways at the hands of a crazed killer.

After saving her friend while on a girls-night-out, Charlie meets the owner of the new club in town and lets him know her opinion of his security. He offers her a job which puts her in even more danger.

The characters are all very distinct, no one-dimensional people in this story, and Charlie is a strong person, but still insecure, who you really want to make the right decisions and come out on top.

The action is excellenty portrayed and you feel every punch.

I don’t read a lot of crime fiction, but I’ve decided that this book acted as a kind of palate cleanser and was a refreshing break from the books I have been reading.

I was also delighted by the motorcycle references! As a Brit who really did not drive a car prior to arriving in the US, they really brought back memories. Especially about only buying groceries that will fit in the bikes tank-bag. Those were the days! (sigh)

This book kept me guessing to the end (again, not something my usual book diet does, not that I’m complaining) and the bad-guy really was a surprise.

So, why not take a breather from pure thrillers and try Charlie Fox? Recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Killer Instinct.