Gail's Reviews > The Hunger Games

Nov 18, 08

bookshelves: young-adult
Recommended for: Ellen, Stacey, Jon, Cole, Andy
Read in November, 2008, read count: 1

One of the best books I've read all year (coincidentally, I think most of my 'best' books I've read this year seem to have come after August) ...

This is on the young adult shelf, but like Twilight or The Book Thief, don't let the genre dissuade you from reading this.

For the uninitiated, the book is centered on a story about a young girl (Katniss) who grows up in a futuristic world where the United States is gone and in its place is a dictatorship (the Capitol) and 12 outlying Districts, which, at one point, tried rebelling against the Capitol. To remind them of their losses and why they should never attempt to lash out again, each year the Capitol holds "The Hunger Games" in which each district must send two children to participate in a game in which they must kill one another until the last victor stands — Katniss being one of the competitors.

Sounds gruesome right? And, it is, but Collins is masterful in her approach to the story — the pace is fast, the violence is contained (enough so given it is downplayed to bigger themes in the book) and the characters are intriguing.

Reading this book, I felt in some ways as if the plots of 1984, The Road, and The Hatchet (one of my favorite books as a kid) had blended together (and in the back of my head, I kept calling 'central casting,' wanting to assign actors to each of the roles .. I guess it's because I've read too many books as of late that have turned into movie adaptations and wonder if this could be next)

My only disappointment is discovering this is a triology and The Hunger Games is the first book in the lot. Nearing the end, I was thinking, "Okay, no way she can wrap this story up with 10 pages left," only to be greeted with: END OF BOOK ONE. Having caught on late to other famed popular series (Potter, Twilight), I've always been able to rush out and buy the next book but this is one that will keep me waiting and if the second is nearly as good as the first, well, I think I'm in for a treat.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy (new)

Joy Gail, you are obsessed with Twilight. I laughed out loud when I saw you invoke Twilight, on this, an unrelated book. ha ha ha. Step away from the Twilight.

I think it's time for an intervention.

message 2: by Gail (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gail Sigh... I know. But I HAVE stepped away from it! Truly I have ... I've read two books since (and it might as well be 3 given Edgar Sawtelle's size) .. now girl, how many books have you read in the past 3 weeks? (this is my childish way of saying "Ne ner ne ner ne ner")

The question becomes whether Kelly and I get you to read it so you can go see the movie with us? I've watched Jayhawk basketball with you, you know ;)

message 3: by Joy (new)

Joy In the name of all that is holy (Jayhawk basketball,) I can't believe you would play that card on me! Arrrggh (continuing with speak like a pirate day,) I may bite the bullet. Though I may also be disappointed if it's not like my latest crush of Jen Lancaster books...and apparently anything on the Target discounted aisle, as I bought another book there yesterday. Arrrrgh....