Dhuaine's Reviews > Responsive Web Design with HTML5 and CSS3

Responsive Web Design with HTML5 and CSS3 by Ben Frain

May 18, 12

bookshelves: tech
Read from May 07 to 12, 2012

This book falls under the "teach concept by walkthrough" category. It presents the application of responsive design via designing and developing a website (which is live and can be visited) step by step.

The actual responsive design theory is presented only in first few chapters (which was fine by me, but judging the book on its own merit, it felt lacking). Then the author delves into development and focuses on visual fireworks that can be achieved with CSS3. Optimization and performance are pushed aside in favor of visual flavor. Techniques not applicable to the example website are not covered.

To be honest, I've had enough of "walkthrough" books. They're an easy (and good) way to learn complex/difficult things, i.e. Flash, but I don't think responsive design is tough enough to require a walkthrough book - especially one that just feels too shallow and too focused on "ooh shiny!" factor of the responsive design trend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Responsive Web Design with HTML5 and CSS3.