Kristoffer's Reviews > The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey

Sep 19, 2008

bookshelves: non-fiction
Recommended for: Everyone
Read in September, 2008

Favorite Quotes:

"Between stimulus and response is our greatest power-the power to choose."

"Seeking to understand requires consideration; seeking to be understood takes courage."

"I do not agree with popular success literature that says self-esteem is primarily a matter of mind set, of attitude-that you can psyche yourself up into peace of mind. Peace of mind comes when your life is in harmony with your true principles and values in no other way."

There have been many self-help books that have emerged throughout the market. However most of them only provide you quick fixes and temporary band-aids just to momentarily ease the pain by telling you what to hear. There are a few books that really compel you to take your life into perspective and look at it in a deeper meaning. This book is one of those. It makes you really contemplate your functions and goals and helps you integrate that into your whole life. Instead of just telling you what to do it instead helps you make a paradigm shift so that you can transcend your situation and look at it in a totalitarian view.

Most importantly, it shows its readers that balance is the key. Balance in interpersonal and intrapersonal aspects are key for effectiveness. But more important is the fact that you know what you want to balance in your life. It begs the questions, "What is important?", "What are my current functions in society?", "How does this affect my environment?"

I know that some people are not very in to self-help books. But I believe that this is not a self-help book. Rather I think its a self-realization book. As what the title says its only for effective people, not successful people. And if your goal is effectiveness rather than efficiency, then this is for you. But I caution every reader that you must be open-minded when reading this book, or else you will not fully grasp its essence.

All in all its a great book. No wonder the university, and many other organizations highly recommend this book to their people. But what really struck me about this book is that it made me realize one thing: to be effective and efficient you must ultimately do the right thing, that is to say with your conscience. It is fundamental in every aspect in each ones life. Anyone can achieve so-called "success". However, to be in harmony with everything in the universe is to live not only a successful independent life but also a successful interdependent life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.