Suzie Grogan's Reviews > Now All Roads Lead To France

Now All Roads Lead To France by Matthew Hollis

Jun 05, 12

Read from May 18 to June 05, 2012

This is a book about a poet written by one and Matthew Hollis has made a wonderful, somewhat melancholy biography of Edward Thomas' life immensely pleasurable to read.The story of the Dymock poets and the relationship between Thomas and American poet Robert Frost - so vital to the poetic development of them both - is told with a warmth that creates an almost tangible bond between reader and poet.

Loved it. Only complaint (and it isn't about the book itself) is that when you read it on Kindle, as I did, the end comes at just 68%. I wasn't ready for it, especially as there are comprehensive notes at the end of each chapter.

Minor gripe though. Get it and read it. Even if you know little about Edward Thomas it is a great introduction to poetic circles of the early 20th C.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Now All Roads Lead To France.

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Great review. This book has been on my radar for a while now, partly because of my interest in Robert Frost and Edward Thomas' friendship with Arthur Ransome, one of my favourite writers. It's now on my TBR pile thanks to your wonderful review.