Erin Reilly-Sanders's Reviews > Bird in a Box

Bird in a Box by Andrea Davis Pinkney

May 18, 12

bookshelves: audio, fiction, historical, multicultural
Read in May, 2012

While I'm not totally in love with this one, I rather enjoyed it. The audio version is pleasant although some of the voices sound intentionally a bit immature. I also would have liked to have the musical pieces mentioned sung rather than read, but I'm picky. The story is well told, the perspectives of the three children engage without being confusing. It has some really great potentials for connections to history and social organizations that unfortunately might go unused in classrooms that typically run out of time before getting to the relatively "recent" history of the 1930's. The time period and African American perspectives are really fascinating- I loved hearing about Joe Lewis and the coming to understand the importance of the radio. The story did feel a little bit cliched or dressed up into something bright and a little happy. I didn't really have anything against this, it just didn't absorb me with it's charm. It does avoid many of the more graphic details that it would be possible to focus on, feeling a little optimistic. I'm not sure that I can understand Willie's forgiveness of his mother but I suppose it's really the author's decision as to how he feels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bird in a Box.