Lloyd Francis's Reviews > The Passage of Power

The Passage of Power by Robert A. Caro

May 18, 2012

Read from May 18 to July 22, 2012

I can't describe how good it is.... THE REMARKABLE thing about this story as Caro has crafted it, is the incredible drama he infuses each and every page with.
He is also a master at drawing the characters involved in the story. I learned much about Kennedy and can even extrapolate that his incredible feat in saving his crew in the PT 109 disaster gave me a new insight into who Kennedy was in spite of his health problems. His brother Bobby comes off as a raging determined and dangerous politician. (#RUTHLESS)

Last of all there's LBJ and Caro draws a nuanced portrait of Johnson that brings him back to life in a very objective light.
Buy the book. Get to reading. I'm not even halfway through the book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Passage of Power.

message 1: by Srfotog (new)

Srfotog There are countless Caro books on Johnson, making him the definitive president biographer of all time. I don't know how many books he wrote on Johnson, but they all are great. This one might be of use to a budding biographer or even a writer, period: Extraordinary Lives: The Art and Craft of American Biography: Caro, Robert A.;Zinsser, William Knowlton

Lloyd Francis I read Master of the Senate and was amazed. That was several year earlier. It is tempting indeed to simply buy the entire set.

Nathaniel Forgive if a certain presumption is necessary at this late , highly corporate, stage of "democracy". I think this book is bad, and has been favorably reviewed because it is so safe. Here is a dissenting view. I intend only to provoke democratic yaking, which is so difficult in today's completely corporate world, where all disagreement about what really matters is niched until the body politic is a corpse http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Nathaniel Lloyd I really dug Master of the Senate as well.