Shauna's Reviews > Android Karenina

Android Karenina by Ben H. Winters

May 18, 12

bookshelves: read-for-blog-review
Read in June, 2010

Disclaimer: I got this book free for review.

Ahhhhh....all the tragedy of the original Russian romance Leo Tolstoy delivered to us in Anna Karenina, plus all the robots, aliens, and political intrigue you've always wanted.

Mr.Winters, co-author with Jane Austen, of Sense and Sensibilities and Sea Monsters, teamed up with Ol' Leo this time around to give Anna Arkadyevna a liberal sprinkling of Steampunk. I was over the moon when I heard Mr.Winters was part of Quirk Classic's newest project. I adored what he did with S&S, so in my mind he could do no wrong with Anna. I am pleased to say, Mr.Winters did not disappoint.

To be entirely honest and up front about this all, Quirk Classics sent me the book a few weeks ago for free. The only strings attached were that I read and blog about my feelings on the book as well as toss in a few links (which I'll get to in a moment) for my readers. I'm all about free books. Especially free books I might actually enjoy. And enjoy I did. Win-win, folks!

And since I'm in the midst of this outpouring of honesty, I'll also tell you I have never actually read the original Anna Karenina. Sorry. But as soon as I dug into Android Karenina, I called my mother and asked to borrow one of the many versions of the movie she owns on DVD. She brought me the BBC version filmed in 1977. If it follows the BBC's literary movie tradition, it was probably very accurate. I really think Tolstoy missed the mark with his original concept. There was always something missing. Sure, it has adultery, emotional melt downs, morphine, madness, and a healthy dose of political commentary, but what it was really missing was robots. Robots and aliens. Robots, aliens, and interplanetary travel. Mr.Winters has fixed that nearly fatal flaw.

I believe we can now set aside the worn out issue of Team Edward or Team Jacob and ask ourselves a new, more pressing question: Team Karenin or Team Vronsky?

(And for the record, Anna Karenina is now sitting in my to-read book pile in my room. I'll get to it eventually.)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Android Karenina.