Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > Victorious

Victorious by Jack Campbell

Jan 10, 13

bookshelves: science-fiction

Okay...great book, great series. I almost went down to 4 stars because of the continuing underlying love story, the unspoken (because of honor) love of Black Jack ("I'm not Black Jack") for the Captain. Still, handled well and I got passed it. At least it wasn't still with our resident politician who has been one of the great annoyances in this series, neither did the love story overwhelm the storyline.

Still one of the better military/semi-space opera reads I've come across. Dealing with two long standing historical legend/archetypes and laying them in a science fiction universe, doing it well with a good plot, in depth characters and plenty of action. Again, great book.

Here our hero is finally poised to tie things up in the war..if he can balance between holding on to command and preventing his crews from a military coup to put him in power. But don't think that things are going to get simple in Black Jack's ("I'm not Black Jack") life...oh know. We still have a totally unknown group of aliens on the other side of Syndicate Space...a group of aliens who want to spread into Human space.

I will try the next series that follows this one. I've been told it's not as good, but now I have to at least try it.

I can endorse this series...I'm even thinking of going back for a reread already. Again, highly recommended.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Victorious.