Ann Douglas's Reviews > Nice Big American Baby

Nice Big American Baby by Judy Budnitz

May 21, 12

bookshelves: fiction, short-stories, favorites, dystopia, read-in-2012
Read from May 19 to 21, 2012

I have a new author to add to my list of favorite short story authors -- Judy Budnitz. Her stories are brave, dystopian, and funny -- an irresistible combo.

I particularly loved "Saving Face," which is all about unthinking allegiance to a political leader. Here are a few quotes from this brilliant shorty story, which I will be returning to again and again:

"What's your dad do? I said. Designs new and better wings for new and better sing nuts, he said proudly. It sounded like he was repeating something a sarcastic adult had said."

"What about your mum? She got taken away. Mine too, I said. There was nothing special about that. It happened all the time."

"Couldn't help it, he insisted. My dad would bell me to draw a flower and it would turn into a Venus flytrap chewing on a hand."

"You have to stop this. I don't want to lose you too. If you have to make a revolution, make a small revolution."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nice Big American Baby.

Quotes Ann Liked

Judy Budnitz
“What's your dad do? I said. Designs new and better wings for new and better sing nuts, he said proudly. It sounded like he was repeating something a sarcastic adult had said.”

Judy Budnitz
“What about your mum? She got taken away. Mine too, I said. There was nothing special about that. It happened all the time.”

Judy Budnitz
“Couldn't help it, he insisted. My dad would bell me to draw a flower and it would turn into a Venus flytrap chewing on a hand.”

Judy Budnitz
“You have to stop this. I don't want to lose you too. If you have to make a revolution, Make a small revolution.”