Maggie Cats's Reviews > The Servants of Twilight

The Servants of Twilight by Leigh Nichols

F_50x66
May 21, 12

Read from May 18 to 21, 2012

I'm a sucker for Dean Koontz, I admit it. He is one of the most prolific authors out there and whether he is writing a thriller, fantasy, sci-fi, or straight-up horror novel, it won't disappoint.

Servants of Twilight is one of his earlier books and was first written under a pseudonym. It's a straight up thriller and even though I have read it before (though probably 20 years ago), I couldn't put it down and it kept me busy on the bus ride to and from New York City this past weekend.

The plot is easy to sum up: single Mom Christine and her six year old son Joey become the target of a cult when the cult's leader becomes convinced Joey is the antichrist. The entire novel is essentially a cat and mouse tale, with Christine and Joey constantly on the run.

Sure, it's not perfect. Early Koontz had a tendency to tell rather than show when it comes to characterization, and the plot kind of drags on by the end. You reach a point about 2/3 of the way through when you want to scream, "just have the show-down already!" but there's no doubt it's a gripping and exciting story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Servants of Twilight.