Katie_la_geek's Reviews > That Thing Called Love

That Thing Called Love by Susan Andersen

Jan 15, 13

bookshelves: ebook-arc, adult
Read from May 23 to 24, 2012

For this review and more visit my blog

I was given a free copy of this book by the publisher for review.

I thought That Thing Called Love was one of those books that I love to read but never seem to like. I read them because I hope that one day I will come across an adult romance with characters I don’t want to throttle and romance that is completely believable. Well, today might just be that day.

The truth is that I rather unexpectedly loved this book. It came out of left field and took me completely by surprise. To my utter shock there was an actual plot here and it wasn’t the same one I’m used to seeing in these types of book. The main female character was not weak; she didn’t have a bad romantic history or come from an abusive background. The main male character was not massive and brooding and possessive. In this book things are refreshingly different.

It is light hearted even though it is about something quite serious, also it doesn’t drag out the drama. Anderson has used humour instead of going down the normal angst path and it works. I found myself laughing out loud several times whilst reading this. It seemed more realistic and most importantly it wasn’t all about the romance.

What separates this book from others is that it doesn’t just concentrate on Jake and Jenny, the two romantic leads of this story. There are also chapters told from the point of view of Austin, Jake's son. These chapters are simply magic. Austin is thirteen, he is developing his first crush and baseball is his life. He is not a sulky teen; instead he is full of enthusiasm and life. He tries to be cool (like all thirteen year old boys do) to varying degrees of success and bumbles along in typical teenage fashion the result is utterly charming and makes this book stand out from the rest.

Austin is not the only character worth mentioning in this book. Most of the focus is on Jenny, Austin’s guardian. What I loved about Jenny most is her backbone she is not afraid to stick up for herself but is never standoffish. Her internal monologue is hilarious and it was impossible to dislike her. She is a real female character and I just wish there were more characters like her out there. Jenny is sweet, funny and someone I think we can all relate to. Then there is Jake the estranged father of Austin. I am not going to lie, Jake does have moments of complete and utter douchery but what I love about him is that he realises it. He knows when he is wrong and then sets about to make it right. He is charming but also apologetically male. He stares at boobs and bums because love or hate it that is what guys do. He has the biggest growth in this book, which again is refreshing because the journey is most often taken by the female in this genre. Like Jenny he is impossible to dislike even if you want to occasionally throttle him.

The romance between Jenny and Jake is sizzling. It is a slow build full of bickering, denial and a bucket load of sexual tension. Reading them dance around one another is part enthralling and part hilarious. It is a romance that is easy to get behind because the chemistry between them literally pours out of the pages. When they finally get together it literally sizzles, and proves to be well worth the wait.

That Thing Called Love is a quick and enjoyable read that will leave a genuine smile on your face. It is a different take on adult romance and is funny, charming but also at time touching. It is the perfect read for a sunny summer’s afternoon and I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That Thing Called Love.

05/23/2012 page 180
47.0% "I am really enjoying this which is a surprise."
05/23/2012 page 310