Julie's Reviews > Silks

Silks by Dick Francis

Sep 18, 08

Read in September, 2008

Not his best. I didn't get into this one until about half-way through. I did enjoy the last half, though.

My major quibble is that Dick Francis' protagonists always drive me nuts. They are all brave and clever. They are also staggeringly un-common-sensical. (I know, that's not a word.)

In this one, a barrister by day, jockey by weekend, is attacked one evening on his way home from work by a man he had prosecuted and put in jail previously. The bad guy attacks him with a baseball bat. So what does our hero do? Dial 999? Call for an ambulance? Police? (Not in a Dick Francis novel he doesn’t.) He calls the police reluctantly because a colleague forces him to. But then he claims he didn't know or recognize his assailant. Sigh. I get tired of the heroes of Francis' novels behaving in a way I find no real person would ever do. (You know, like in a scary movie, where the last living girl (body weight: 98 lbs) climbs the stairs where she hears the scary noises coming from, clutching a butcher knife in one shaky hand. Whereas a NORMAL PERSON would have run screaming from the house at the first sign of terrifying weirdness.)

You should know, though, that I've read every one of Dick Francis' approximately one jillion books. I am a fan.

Also, small quibble – Francis’ titles are completely and totally interchangeable. I had to go get the book to remind myself of what this one is called. This one is “Silks” as in, a jockey’s silks (the uniform he wears to race in), and “silks” as in qualifying to wear a barrister’s silks (robe.). I get it; I just won’t remember it.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silks.