Katie_la_geek's Reviews > Pushing the Limits

Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

Jul 10, 12

bookshelves: ebook-arc
Read from May 22 to June 12, 2012

You can read this review and more over on my blog

*I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for a review.*

Pushing The Limits is one of those books. I read it, I recognized that it was quite good but I didn’t like it. Quite simply this book was just not for me, which makes this review rather hard to write.

The problem was that this book was just too dramatic for me. It was drama piled up on top of drama with a touch of what I felt was unrealistic-ness. It pushed me to the edge of my patience and I had to take many breaks whilst reading this, I just struggled with it from beginning to end. If you have read my reviews before you will know that I struggle with angst. I like it in small doses but Pushing the Limits was packed full of it. It turned me into a bit of a nervous wreck!

Also I struggled to believe that the life’s of the Echo and Noah (the two main characters). They just seemed to be surrounded by selfish, violent and generally bad people. (The big exception was Mrs Collins who is awesome.) Their parents, family, friends, even the government seemed to be against them. This was a big problem for me where Noah was concerned. I just couldn’t believe that he would be sent to so many horrible and violent carers and I couldn’t believe that no-one seemed to care.

The characters were ok but I couldn’t connect with them. Echo was a bit too soft for me but I can see the appeal of misunderstood bad boy Noah (even if he was a bit clichéd and annoying at times.) Together they were alright, it is a romance I think a lot of readers will get sucked in by but again I just couldn’t connect.

I think a lot of other readers will not have the same problem. This is a book I can imagine people loving, but I just couldn’t handle the endless drama. Like I said before, it just wasn’t for me.

I may not have enjoyed it but I can honestly say it is a well written book that I think will connect with a lot of readers; I was just not one of them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pushing the Limits.

06/08/2012 page 30
8.0% "This is all a little to painfull and depressing."
06/08/2012 page 100
25.51% "This is all a little to painfull and depressing."
06/09/2012 page 100
26.0% "There is nothing wrong with this book, I just don't want to read it anymore : ("
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

♥Rachel♥ How are you liking this Kate?

Katie_la_geek ♥Rachel♥ wrote: "How are you liking this Kate?"

Its alright, it is a little to painfull and dramatic for me. I just struggle with books that seem to have angst just to have it and I think this is where the book is going. I know a lot of readers love that kind of stuff, I am just not one of them.

♥Rachel♥ Kate, I don't like too much frustration either. I look forward to your final thoughts. :)