Gary Hoggatt's Reviews > Atomic Robo Volume 6: The Ghost of Station X

Atomic Robo Volume 6 by Brian Clevinger

May 21, 12

bookshelves: all-fiction, comics, science-fiction
Read on May 18, 2012

Atomic Robo and the Ghost of Station X, the sixth and latest installment (2012) of the adventures of Nikola Tesla's wisecracking robotic action scientist, pits Robo against a mysterious antagonist who somehow is orchestrating a variety of deadly perils for Robo. This is complicated because, as Robo himself says, "Angering powerful people in charge of shadowy organizations is pretty much my hobby."

I don't want to go into too much detail, given that the story's a mystery and all and spoilers are no fun for anyone. However, each of the traps the mystery antagonist lays for Robo is fun and different, and Robo overcomes them in different ways. Well, usually by employing scientific violence in different ways. But not always!

As for our mystery antagonist, I will say only that it makes total sense when it's revealed, is a great nod to history, and is a foe worthy of Robo. I really liked the villain, their plan, and their motivations.

As usual, writer Brian Clevinger is up to the typical Robo standard of excellence. There's more ominous mystery and less wisecrackin' than previous volumes, but it still works, and still has more humor than pretty much anything the big comic publishers do these days while still keeping appropriate gravitas. Scott Wegener does another fine job with the art, with a particular strength this time out in depicting the physical scale of the challenges faces Robo.

I wouldn't recommend Atomic Robo and the Ghost of Station X as a first crack at Atomic Robo, as I did with Volume 5, as the tone is a bit different than typical for the series, and - while the story is entirely self-contained, so it'd work in that sense - there's not much history or backstory, especially compared to Volume 5.

If you're an Atomic Robo fan, you should have read this comic already, and if you aren't yet, read Volume 1 or Volume 5 first, then come back to Atomic Robo and the Ghost of Station X for some angry shadowy organization mystery. Volume 6 is another excellent Atomic Robo story.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Atomic Robo Volume 6.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Great review, Gary. I had never heard of this series before, but just picked up vol 1 after reading your review.

Gary Hoggatt Thanks, Stephen! I look forward to hearing what you think of Atomic Robo.