Willow's Reviews > If You See Her

If You See Her by Shiloh Walker

This was almost, but not quite, a sequel burnout for me. And I hate that. I really, really do.

The problem wasn't in the telling, because Shiloh Walker is such a capable writer. I think it was simply the leads and the plot necessary to make their relationship work. The first book was held together by two really tough characters, and it was speeding along to WTF is going on, but this one steered away and slowed way down. And threw in drama that I wished it hadn't.

Hope Carson was in an effed up marriage. She was physically and emotionally beaten for years. She got out, was adrift for two years, but now she's staying with her oldest friend, Law, a resident of Ash, Kentucky. Things are a mess in the beginning with both Hope and Law in the hospital after being beaten in his home. Hope's got cut up wrists, Law was unconscious, and there's a dead deputy. Hope is about to be arrested by Remy Jennings, who has had a bit of a thing for the girl with the sad green eyes since he saw her in the last book.
The pressure of contained fear, anxiety and madness inside of Hope is right there in your face in those first chapters. She's in a hospital again and she's losing it, and Law is stumbling down the hall fresh out of a coma to protect her. The friendship between these two was one of the things I was most looking forward to in this one.

Things happen and Remy wants Hope but he knows he has to go real slow. So he does. And Hope...she wants things, but she's afraid, but she's going to do them, but actually doesn't until she has a falling out with Law. Having to get into a fight with Law to transition to a new life with Remy left me feeling...a void. It made it difficult to connect with Hope. I knew Remy wanted her, for whatever reason, and I knew she liked the way he made her feel, but I didn't get a spark. And so much time was spent on Hope and her past and crazy ex-husband, that the mystery of the murders was put on a shelf, much to the dismay of Nia, a new character, who is the cousin of the woman the murderer last raped and killed.

When it came to the climax, it was hard not to see it coming. Part of me was so frustrated with Hope, Law, the whole bunch.

I'm looking forward to the third, and I'm hoping it's full speed ahead to a satisfying conclusion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If You See Her.