Steve Wilson's Reviews > The Lady of the Rivers

The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory

M 50x66
May 18, 12

Read in May, 2012

This book I received courtesy of Goodreads.

Has been a long time sincevI have read a historical fiction work and a first time reader of a Philippa Gregory book. Not being a history buff, it is somewhat difficult understanding the connections and political intrigue of the period of time during which the novel takes place. Regardless, I did enjoy this work told from the perspective of Jacquetta, Duchess of Bedford who becomes a friend and confident of the queen. What worked well for me was the recounting of several battles which took place during this era and in particular battle Jacquetta accompanies the Queen to witness a battle underway. What worked less for me was the somewhat repititous theme of Jacquetta getting pregnant, going into confinement, having a baby, being separated for husband, having her husband return, becoming pregnant again. This happens on a regular basis throughout the book and becomes tiresome regardless og the historical accuracy.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lady of the Rivers.