Bucket's Reviews > Nothing Daunted: The Unexpected Education of Two Society Girls in the West

Nothing Daunted by Dorothy Wickenden

Jun 29, 12

bookshelves: hella-sweet-book-club-read, bio-auto-bio, culture, history, reviewed, non-fiction, travel, women
Read from June 24 to 29, 2012

This was a quick and easy read. Its not earth-shattering or anything, but it's not supposed to be. It's fun, it's interesting, and it throws a little bit of American history into a fluffy little story about two young people having an adventure. The story is fascinating in part because we've all had those little glimpses into the very-long-ago lives or our grandparents or other elderly relatives and friends. The world was different then and personal stories like Nothing Daunted shine a real spotlight on this by getting down into the details (unlike a more expansive history of an era or country).

I must applaud Dorothy Wickenden (an editor herself) and the editors of her book for a job well done. It's absurd to be saying this, but I'm thrilled to have read a newly-published book free of typos and blatant grammatical errors! This is more a comment on the publishing industry in general than on the editors of this particular book doing anything above and beyond what they all should do.

Back to Nothing Daunted, I enjoyed it and am glad to have read it. I found it perfect pleasure-reading -- short, upbeat, and lightly educational.

Themes: 1900s, early American west, women, society, adventure, education, history
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nothing Daunted.

06/26/2012 page 55