Jill's Reviews > Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back

Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo

May 18, 12

Read in May, 2012

I wasn't a huge fan of this book. I have a strong Christian faith, but to me it felt like this book was reaching. First, this child is a son of a pastor, so his exposure to the word even at a young age will be more then most. Also, we have to remember this is a child who received a lot of attention while he was ill and then when he gave answers about his experience afterwards that prompted continued excitement and curiosity, I can only imagine that would be exciting for him and encourage what could be bits of imagination.

One example that really stood out to me was when they talked about how the little boy got really excited about sword fights. Well of course when asked if they can have swords in heaven he would say "yes and we fight a dragon." I can see how it could be stretched to relate to a story in the bible (as did everything he said) by his father the pastor, but I just think most young boys who like swords and dragons are going to say they will have that in heaven. I think a mans heart sometimes sees what it wants to see and this author/pastor has a heart for the Lord. I personally just didn't get an overwhelmingly convincing vibe. Moreover, I really do hope that its not true that even in heaven there will be war!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven is for Real.