Diane's Reviews > A Train in Winter: An Extraordinary Story of Women, Friendship, and Resistance in Occupied France

A Train in Winter by Caroline Moorehead

May 20, 12

Read from May 18 to 20, 2012

This story is incredible. The true story of women in France who were part of the Resistance during WW2. I have to say thqt is is the first time I've read a Holocaust book(and I read many) in this format-the true story told in a sort of text book style- lots of facts, names, dates,etc. I learned A LOT! Mostly, when you think of concentration camps-Aucshwitz, Treblinka, etc- you think of the Jews that were sent there; you don't realize that others were also condemed. The French(as in this story),Gypsies, Poles, Hungarians,men, women and children- not all Jews, just people who "did wrong" against the Germans; also the different political parties that were involved, namely the Communists. This is a gut wrenching story of the French women who went throught this excruciating time. Their struggle for survival - or not- their incredible resilience, strength, bonding, freindship and support of each other. This is not light reading and should be taken as a learning experience.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Train in Winter.

05/19/2012 page 163