Tanya Eby's Reviews > Checker and the Derailleurs: A Novel

Checker and the Derailleurs by Lionel Shriver

May 29, 12

Read from May 26 to 29, 2012

This is the third book of Shriver's I've read, and again, I recommit to reading everything she's written. The woman is a genius.

This is one of her earliest pieces, I guess; if not her first book. The characters are--like in her other novels--complex and myriad. Some of them are downright unlikeable people, but you still end up liking them.

The loose plot is the story of a rock band in the late 80s in Astoria, New York. But it's probably more a story about loyalty and growing up and finding out who you are. She showcases her same narrative voice, and pulls you in.

I wasn't as emotionally connected to this story as I was to "We Need To Talk About Kevin" or "The Post Birthday World" but this is essentially a story about youth, told by a writer who was at the time of writing also in her 'youth'.

I found it delightful. Intriguing. And it made me remember being in my twenties when people who played in bands seemed to have a mystical shimmer to them. Shriver captures that, and makes that shimmer somehow burst into flames. I have a total writer crush on her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Checker and the Derailleurs.