Cheryl's Reviews > Her Highness, the Traitor

Her Highness, the Traitor by Susan Higginbotham

Aug 11, 2012

bookshelves: kindle-edition

Told in alternating chapters by Frances Grey and Jane Dudley this telling of Lady Jane Grey's brief rise and fall is a great treat from the amazing Susan Higginbotham. So much of Tudor historic fiction is concentrated on Henry VIII and Elizabeth I that it's easy to forget that there were years when neither of them were of any obvious importance. As much as I love British history, this "shoulder season" when Edward was King is a period I really know very little about (except of course from some less scholarly movie adaptation of Jane's rise). So, this book was as much an education as it was recreation - in my mind the best type of reading!

I admit that sometimes I did forget who's version of the story I was hearing, frequently mixing up Jane Dudley and Frances Grey's stories which is a bit easy to do since everyone was named Jane, William, Henry, John, Mary and Katherine (not a Cheryl in the bunch although it was nice of Jane Dudley to name her son Guildford!).

This is a different version of the story from my recollection, where the Grey family is seen as much less grasping and much more self-preserving than in other versions of the story. Regardless, this is very much Frances version and truthfully it felt so honest and real I can't help but believe that this version is the most likely.

Susan Higginbotham is just an amazing writer and this book is a great addition to my library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Highness, the Traitor.