Valerie's Reviews > Walks Alone

Walks Alone by Sandi Rog

Dec 14, 2014

bookshelves: christian, romance, historical
Read from May 18 to 20, 2012 — I own a copy

I loved Walks Alone by Sandi Rog immensely, I would give it four and a half stars if I could. I am so glad that Christian authors and publishers are finally dipping their feet into the waters of Indian/White love stories. When I was a teen I read through the Love Comes Softly books and was so disgusted with the author for nixing a budding love between a young white man and an Indian girl he had met in a berry patch, and justifying it with practical but nevertheless horrible counsel, at least to this starry-eyed reader.

Now, the reason this wasn't quite a five star for me was because the hero was not all Cheyenne, he had connections that took the story in a direction I personally do not find interesting, HOWEVER... the ending was just what I could have wished, hero's place was clearly with his people and that is where heroine gets her happily ever after. This is what sets this book even above Courting Morrow Little, which I loved.

Relative quibbles: Anna, being only sixteen, was obstinately unable to see where she belonged, and while my heart broke for White Eagle, which was good storytelling, I felt like doing violence to Anna, which is not good since I am supposed to identify with her.

There are a few editing problems that crop up now and then in the kindle edition that I hope will be fixed for the paper edition I plan to buy.

That too small image on the cover of White Eagle looks exactly like the one on J.M. Hochstetler's book Wind of the Spirit, I mean just reversed with dark hair! More White Eagle and much less Anna on that breathtaking backdrop would be better.

I wish we could be given more than half a sentence when White Eagle and Anna consummate their marriage, especially given the personal nature of at least two conversations between them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walks Alone.

07/20/2014 marked as: currently-reading