Shane Prevosto's Reviews > Guess How Much I Love You

Read in June, 2010

Genre: Picture Book
Title: Guess How Much I Love You
Author: Sam McBratney
Topic: Father and son rabbits compete to express who loves the other more.
Age Level: Primary

Summary: “ The book enters the plot with Little Nutbrown Hare whispering a secret question to Big Nutbrown Hare, his father. He softly says directly into Big Nutbrown Hare’s ear, “Guess How Much I Love You!” This simple question is not so simple. The two rabbits begin a competitive expression of how much they love one another.

“I love you as high as I can hop”, Little Nutbrown Hare exclaims. Big Nutbrown Hare, being an older and much bigger rabbit mimics him by saying, “I love you as high as I can hop,” and naturally the expression of love seems greater since he can out-hop Little Nutbrown Hare. The two rabbits go at it all day with varying similes such as “I love you all the way across the hills and back” and “I love you all the way to the river and back”. Little Nutbrown Hare is so strong-willed and has such a bright spirit that he doesn’t rest until he best exclaims his love for his dad, literally. As Little Nutbrown Hare yawns and slowly closes his eyes, he says “I love you all the way to the Moon” and falls asleep. Big Nutbrown Hare, covering Little Nutbrown Hare with a bed of leaves, bends down and whispers in his ear, “I love you all the way to the moon... And back.”

Reaction: “Guess How Much I Love You!” is an all time personal favorite of mine. The book contains exactly 20 pages, and with each turn of the page, the reader becomes more and more enthralled. The story is a unique portrayal of a ‘hard-to-define’ concept: Love. If up until this point you cannot truly define or grasp love, this story will even put the emotion into perspective for adults. Love is not something that you can weigh or measure, it just ‘is’. Love in itself is a great gift of expression, and its value can only increase. A great story for parent-to-child reading, “Guess How Much I Love You!” will grab your heart from the beginning. Once more, the pictures are perfect for the story. Little Nutbrown Hare and Big Nutbrown Hare are portrayed in vivid water color with a different scenic background of nature on each page. This story should surely be shared with everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guess How Much I Love You.