Ranee's Reviews > On the Jellicoe Road

On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

May 18, 12

Read in May, 2012

I give a pat on my own shoulder for learning that I could do these things: 1) reading while on a moving vehicle either on land, air or water; 2) reading while on a drinking spree (I excuse myself from time to time to finish a chapter); and 3) finishing this book while enjoying the sands of Boracay.

How should I feel about this book? As a travel buddy, this book kept me awake. It failed to bore me long enough to leave it inside my bag. In fact, as I was trekking the mountains of Mambukal, I can't help but look for my own Jellicoe road, the type where the canopies of the nearby trees form a tunnel. The type where I would set my eyes on the five friends bonded by fate. Sadly, my gaze did not meet anyone with the eyes that seemed to belong to Narnie but it did not lack smiles through which for a brief moment I connected with.

As days crept on, so did my curiosity for these five friends who, I believe are the real heroes and heroines of this novel. This is their history, present and future. Everything that made Jellicoe Road rich in amusing events and games were created by these fab five. Their presence have etched too deep into the hearts of the townpeople including the police, the mayor and etcetera that their lives seemed to eveolve aroudn them. Taylor, the supposed heroine of this story stood out as an important link in the completion of their fate. It felt like I prowled into Taylor's diary who was then retracing her heritage to cope with her identity crisis and occasionally bumping into those entries where she wrote about her crush/lover. I guess, if Marchetta did not explore the story of these five friends, Taylor's diary would be common.

This is readable and enjoyable. It does not really evoke change in me or that type that makes me want to get up and run. But it does pinch you in your heart, enough to make you feel that any friendship is not perfect but it truly exist for anyone who wants to leave loneliness alone.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Jellicoe Road.

Quotes Ranee Liked

Melina Marchetta
“It's funny how you can forget everything except people loving you. Maybe that's why humans find it so hard getting over love affairs. It's not the pain they're getting over, it's the love.”
Melina Marchetta, On the Jellicoe Road

Melina Marchetta
“But grief makes a monster out of us sometimes . . . and sometimes you say and do things to the people you love that you can't forgive yourself for.”
Melina Marchetta, On the Jellicoe Road