Rebecca Chapman Dann's Reviews > Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Abraham Lincoln by Seth Grahame-Smith

May 18, 2012

Read in May, 2012

Much better than his Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I found this to be well-written and much fun. I liked how Grahame-Smith tucked the vampire hunting episodes so neatly into the real life of Lincoln. Also how he tied vampire-ism into European and early United States history was an act of genius. I read this book really fast as I didn't want to put it down.

The characters are well formed and actually believable. The style of building a novel via journal entries interspersed with narrative was interesting and kept the plot moving quickly. The narrator is purported to be Grahame-Smith himself which is slightly reminiscent of Lemony Snicket and just as satisfying. It was much fun to envision tall viral Abraham stalking the nights with axe in hand decapitating vampires set to feast on unsuspecting slaves prior to the U.S. Civil War. I happened to be reading this on the day I went to see the movie Dark Shadows only to be delighted to see that Grahame-Smith wrote the screenplay! Some of his theories about the evolution of vampires appeared in that movie.

I liked it, it was fun.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abraham Lincoln.