Karla's Reviews > Her Forbidden Hero

Her Forbidden Hero by Laura Kaye

4 ½ Stars!Oh my, what a sweet, emotional read. Laura Kaye does the tortured hero so well, and Marco fits the bill to a “t”!! He’s angry, confused, and the last thing he needs is more drama in his life, but that’s exactly what he gets when Alyssa walks into the bar where he works looking for a job. She is his best friend’s little sister, he looked out for her when she was younger and this is the last place he expects to see her. He’s not happy and boy does he let her know it! So much for happy reunions! Alyssa adores Marco, and is in love with him, but the fun, loving, sweet, protective boy she once knew, is now a bitter, crass, irate man. She knows that he was injured while serving with her brother Brady, but isn’t aware of the extent of his injuries or the mental torment that he suffers from.

This was a profound emotional read. You get a real feel for how much Marco is suffering, and Alyssa helplessness in her quest to aide him in his healing. She extends a hand and opens her heart to him; he reaches, tries to hold on and then slaps her away. Again and again, but she doesn’t give up on him. Until Marco finally realizes… this woman, not his best friend’s little sister, not the girl he protected…but the woman that Alyssa has become holds his heart in her hands. Loving her will allow him to love himself and the healing can begin!

The ending was oozing with “cheese” and was deliciously perfect!! There is a cast of wonderful secondary characters that you connect too, the writing flows nicely, and according to Laura Kaye…Brady is getting a book very soon! YES!!

Although I LOVED the book, I was looking for a confrontation with Alyssa and Brady’s father. I think it would have added to the story and was a missed opportunity, but it’s not my story to write. I understand that there is only so much you can put in a short read, so I’m hoping that we see this issue addressed in Brady’s book, other than that…well done Laura Kaye!

"In My Life" by the Beatles" is mentioned in the book...perfect song for Marco, and one of my favorites. LK got it right!

** Here I go again**
I know I sound like a broken record, but Marco is a fictional character who suffers from PTSD, an all too real condition for so many of our returning soldiers. So, try to support your home country military whenever, or however you can!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Forbidden Hero.

05/18/2012
35.0% "Oh Marco...listen to your heart baby. Maybe if you just open up and share, the nightmares will go away!" 61 comments
05/19/2012
95.0% "OMG...he is, isn't he! Marco, I'm going to ball my eyes out!"
05/19/2012
100.0% "Beautiful!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Lane I love when you talk to the characters. ;)

Karla Jennifer wrote: "I love when you talk to the characters. ;)"

Maybe I need to lay on "your couch" and be "analyzed"!! If that's what they even call it. Either way...you would have field day! LOL!

Anne OK Fab review! Though I didn't wait for the review, I downloaded when I saw your five stars! "In My Life" is also one of my favorites!

Karla AnneOK wrote: "Fab review! Though I didn't wait for the review, I downloaded when I saw your five stars! "In My Life" is also one of my favorites!"

Thanks Anne...LK tells a good story! IML probably my fav song by the Fab Four!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Great review, Karla! Sounds good and I have this one on my Mountain, too.

Elizabeth (Liz) Oh, this sounds like another incredible one by Laura Kaye, and the PTSD storylines just get me, bigtime!

Fantastic review, Karla!!!

message 7: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Lane Great review! I definitely want to read this. :)

Karla Baba wrote: "Great review, Karla! Sounds good and I have this one on my Mountain, too."

Thanks Baba! Oh my, how did our mountains get so big?!

Karla Elizabeth wrote: "Oh, this sounds like another incredible one by Laura Kaye, and the PTSD storylines just get me, bigtime!

Fantastic review, Karla!!!"

It's hard to believe that she's only been published for a year. She has so many "good reads" under her belt and continues to pump them out. Thanks and enjoy Elizabeth!

Karla GR won't let me reply to your comment Elizabeth...it's acting weird again! Anyhoo....

Karla Jennifer wrote: "Great review! I definitely want to read this. :)"

Thanks Jennifer!

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Fantastic review, Karla. This one sounds really good!

Karla Kristen wrote: "Fantastic review, Karla. This one sounds really good!"

Thanks Kristen!! It is!

Lindsay Great review Karla!

Karla Lindsay wrote: "Great review Karla!

I can't wait to get further into this book, and better acquainted with Marco. :)"

Thanks Lindsay! Are you waiting for Alyssa? I got my Ninja outfit on and left you a pic on her status update!

Lindsay Lol. She's going to finish the book before me, but I'm ready for her!

Dorsey aka Wrath Lover & KA Addict Great review as always Karla!!

Becs - Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews Great review Karla - this sounds like something I would enjoy. I guess it's hot and heavy if it's Laura Kaye.

Karla Dorsey wrote: "Great review as always Karla!!"

Thank you Dorsey!

Karla Becs wrote: "Great review Karla - this sounds like something I would enjoy. I guess it's hot and heavy if it's Laura Kaye."

Thanks Becs! The sexual tension is off the charts, and when the heat kicks in...it's good!

message 21: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Another wonderful review, Karla. I don't think I've read this author before. I'll have to add this one. Thanks.

Karla Lisa Kay wrote: "Another wonderful review, Karla. I don't think I've read this author before. I'll have to add this one. Thanks."

Thank you Lisa Kay! Her published works have only been around for a year. As a matter of fact, she's having a birthday celebration for her first release Forever Freed and is offering the ebook version for only 99 cents. I loved that book. I've read almost everything she's written and I love her style. She also pumps out books on a regular basis, no waiting for a year!

message 23: by Ann (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ann Love your review. You've sold me on another one. Have already clicked "buy".

message 24: by Ann (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ann OMG - did you see Laura's website for her Marco inspiration....check out Guilio Berruti's pic. Fanning self - whew!

Lindsay Ann wrote: "OMG - did you see Laura's website for her Marco inspiration....check out Guilio Berruti's pic. Fanning self - whew!"

I did see that pic! He is really fine :)

message 26: by Kellie is a bookwhoreasaurus (last edited May 21, 2012 03:45PM) (new) - added it

Kellie is a bookwhoreasaurus hot hero.. Cheesy ending?! My kind of book! Great review as always Karla ^_^ You sold me to try it!

message 27: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly Totally awesome review, Karla! You've really out done yourself this time. I think i've found another writer to check out:)

Karla Ann wrote: "OMG - did you see Laura's website for her Marco inspiration....check out Guilio Berruti's pic. Fanning self - whew!"

I will go on over and check it out...thanks for the heads up Ann!

Karla Kellie wrote: "hot hero.. Cheesy ending?! My kind of book! Great review as always Karla ^_^ You sold me to try it!"

Thanks Kellie...yes it was cheesy, but sweet!

Karla Kelly wrote: "Totally awesome review, Karla! You've really out done yourself this time. I think i've found another writer to check out:)"

Awww, you're too sweet Kelly. This is the same author that wrote Forever Freed and I think you picked that one up too!

Kellie is a bookwhoreasaurus Just picked it up ^_^

KatLynne I have 2 books posted as "currently reading" and stopped to begin this tonight. Fantastic review Karla!

Karla KatLynne wrote: "I have 2 books posted as "currently reading" and stopped to begin this tonight. Fantastic review Karla!"

I know you love tortured heroes like me KatLynne, so you will enjoy this! Thanks dear friend!

message 34: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly You're right Karla. Geez, you know my books better then I do!!!

♡Karlyn P♡ This sounds great! Nice review

Karla ♡KarLynP♡ wrote: "This sounds great! Nice review"

Thanks KarLyn!

Nicole-Pattypattz1 Laura Kaye writes some awesome stuff! Yet another on my TBR.
Nice review Karla!!

Karla Nicole-Pattypattz1 wrote: "Laura Kaye writes some awesome stuff! Yet another on my TBR.
Nice review Karla!!"

Thank you Nicole! Did you read Forever Freed? My favorite from LK!

Nicole-Pattypattz1 Karla wrote: "Nicole-Pattypattz1 wrote: "Laura Kaye writes some awesome stuff! Yet another on my TBR.
Nice review Karla!!"

Thank you Nicole! Did you read Forever Freed? My favorite from LK!"

No, but it is on my TBR list.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Lovely review, Karla!

Karla Tammie wrote: "Lovely review, Karla!"

Thanks Tammie!

message 42: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee Great review Karla....I keep meaning to get around to this one but am in a HR groove at the moment ☺

Karla Dee wrote: "Great review Karla....I keep meaning to get around to this one but am in a HR groove at the moment ☺"

Thanks Dee! I know what you mean, for some reason I keep veering back to YA!!

Lady Heather Wonderful review, Karla!

Karla Lady Heather wrote: "Wonderful review, Karla!"

Thank you Heather!