Rita's Reviews > The Rook

The Rook by Daniel O'Malley

May 18, 12

bookshelves: loved

Oh, I loved this book. It was Men in Black and The Bourne Identity and the X-Men and some Memento and maybe a little of Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries and a sprinkle of Harry Potter with a kick-ass heroine who has an unpronounceable first name. It was all those things and it was completely original. Reading it on the heels of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, I could say that this is what the Miss Peregrine book wanted to be, but the truth is, this is what I think a lot of books want to be and either totally fall flat or just kind of leave you feeling very unsatisfied, shrugging and going, "Meh. It had a good premise, but..." That doesn't happen with this book, it follows through with its premise and is a ton of fun from start to finish.

So you should read it. It's just simply awesome. I'm not going to say anything else about it because I don't want to give anything away.

I will say, however, that I loved, loved, loved that there was a character named Gestalt. Gestalt is like my most favorite word/psychological theory ever and personally, I get giddy whenever I find a way to use it in conversation, when the word "Gestalt" is the perfect word and I get to say it aloud. So having a character named Gestalt made me really happy when I couldn't pronounce "Myfanwy" and just gave up after a while and called her "M-WTF" in my head.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rook.