Eden (edenlovesbooks)'s Reviews > Saving Francesca

Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta

Jul 01, 2012

bookshelves: books-i-love
Read from June 29 to 30, 2012

I can't believe it's taken me this long to discover Melina Marchetta. The woman can write! She creates characters that feel so damn relatable you struggle with not being able to put the book down because it's so fucking good but at the same time you don't want to finish it too quickly...you want to savor it, as corny as that sounds. But I don't give a shit! I am not afraid to admit that she can bring me to tears of laughter or sadness... Whether I'm laughing at the witty dialogue or saddened by the protagonist's situation. Melina may write for "young adults" but her writing is not flowery bullshit. Everything she writes rings true and you think to yourself, is this woman inside my head??! How does she know so much? She's so in tune with the thoughts, feelings, and actions of young people, even the way they talk. When you discover authors like her she basically sets the standards for great writing and you almost become disappointed with anything else you read.

Anyway, now that that is over with, I will tell you if you have any sense, any sense at all as well as good taste, go out and buy this book, borrow it, steal it, whatever you have to do. Because you sure as shit won't regret it. BELIEVE THE HYPE AND BUY JELLICOE ROAD TOO.

five out of five.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving Francesca.

Quotes Eden (edenlovesbooks) Liked

Melina Marchetta
“I can't believe I said it out loud. The truth doesn't set you free, you know. It makes you feel awkward and embarrassed and defenseless and red in the face and horrified and petrified and vulnerable. But free? I don't feel free. I feel like shit.”

Melina Marchetta
“A piece of me is gone," she told me once while we were bra shopping. "I think we're made up of all these different pieces and every time someone goes, you're left with less of yourself.”

Melina Marchetta
“Comfort zones are overrated. They make you lazy.”

Melina Marchetta
“People with lost personalities will suffer a great deal more than those with lost virginities.”

Melina Marchetta
“I just stare at him. I want to ask him a thousand questions, but I can tell he doesn't want to be asked.
"We make weird friends," I say instead.
"I've never been into the f-word with people."
"I'm privileged, then? Why me?"
He thinks for a moment and shrugs again.
"You're the realest person I've ever known."
"Is that good or bad?"
"It's fucking awful. There's not much room for bullshit, and you know how I thrive on it."
We laugh for a moment and begin walking again.”

Melina Marchetta
“Memory is a funny thing. It tricks you into believing that you've forgotten important moments, and then when you're raking your brain for a bit of information that might make sense of something else, it taps you on the head and says, "Remember when you told me to put that memory in the green rubbish bin? Well, I didn't, I put it in the black recycling tub, and it's coming your way again.”

06/29 page 168