Janet's Reviews > Take Me

Take Me by Bella Andre

Let's make this 4 1/2 stars. I hope I'm not cheating by including the goodreads description ... Lily Ellis has curves -- soft, beautiful curves. The kind of voluptuous body she fears Travis Carson, the man she's always loved from afar, would never crave. But Lily is about to be proven wrong. Her adventure begins when the demure San Francisco interior decorator agrees to model a plus-size dress for her fashion designer sister. Watching this sensual beauty move down the runway, Travis can't believe it's the same Lily he's always known -- and always rejected. In a whirlwind of electric attraction, Lily is soon moaning Travis's name in his bed, not just in her wild fantasies... because they're great jumping off points.

First of all, thank you twitter friend for suggesting this book. Lily is definitely curvy, and not in the size 8 sense: the reader gets the impression she on the upper end of the spectrum, somewhere in the cusp of switching to plus sizes. That's not important: I saw her as a pre-makeover Adele, curvaceous and womanly. What she isn't is confident -- until she's wearing a "magic" dress. Somehow the dress unleashes the inner Lily and then watch out world. More importantly than her size though is her fantasy life. This is the first mainstream romance I've read where the heroine had a collection of vibrators, which she uses and shall we say, mentally as well as physically. But wait, later in the story, Travis and Lily have a threesome of sorts, with one of her BoBs and it's not gross or gratuitous, it's more than Travis cannot believe how lucky he is to be with this sensuous, vibrant woman ... and part of her charm is her appreciation of sex. Contrast that with the coy way the heroine of Sylvia Day's Bared to You talked about her vibrator (and it was only talk) ... I don't have the right vocabulary, but the effervescence and lightness that Andre sprinkled all through her fairytale was missing in this element of Bared to You. There's an old expression: it's not the meat, it's the motion and I'm finding that sex toys and implements and games don't mean much -- to me at least -- if there isn't a bedrock of intimacy and fun that sizzles.

There is some darkness in Take Me but of course there's a delicious HEA. And there's no magic weight meltdown -- Lily grows into her beauty and it's not just her man who sees her as special. What can I say, so much of attractiveness is mental.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Take Me.

message 1: by Kaetrin (new) - added it

Kaetrin Sounds like I should give this one a try. I think I have one Bella Andre book on my TBR but I don't think it's this one.

Janet I thought it was so unusual ... and fun ... and sexy ... and then there was Tuscany! But the follow-on book was a dud. I didn't like it at all.

message 3: by Kaetrin (new) - added it

Kaetrin I bought Take Me today and I picked up Love Me for free at Books on Board - some kind of special. So, now they've made it to my TBR - there's only 800 or so books on there. I'll get to it in no time I'm sure!!