Steven's Reviews > Mind, Self and Society from the Standpoint of a Social Behaviorist

Mind, Self and Society from the Standpoint of a Social Behavi... by George Herbert Mead

Nov 19, 2008

Recommended to Steven by: Maura Conway, David Orenstein
Read in November, 2008

This is a fascinating - if often difficult and dense - book. While somewhat dated at times (e.g. references to "The League of Nations") and with a somewhat human-centric standpoint, this book contains a lot of really mind-blowing ideas.

Consciousness is social. Your mind is not limited to your body. The framework here posits both a mechanism for consciousness to evolve, and a way for it to exist in even the most sociobiological standpoint.

If you're looking for a light read, this isn't your book. If you're looking for a way to expand your view of yourself, society, and your role in it - this book is for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mind, Self and Society from the Standpoint of a Social Behaviorist.

Mika Harjula Hey Steven. Nice review. I quoted you without asking permission, but gave you the credit. I hope it's okay?

Steven Mika wrote: "Hey Steven. Nice review. I quoted you without asking permission, but gave you the credit. I hope it's okay?"

Sure - do you mind linking me?