Yuu Sasih's Reviews > Are You Alice? 1巻

Are You Alice? 1巻 by Ai Ninomiya

May 18, 2012

bookshelves: adventure, manga, mystery, fantasy, suspense-thriller, favorites
Read in September, 2011

This rating and review are for all of the published online volumes

Reading this because of my friend who suddenly love to write a fanfic about Alice in Wonderland, but not the Alice we're familiar with. She said this story was Alice's spin-off and it was so great I'll like it. So, out of curiousity, I browse it and read this manga online.

The result? Damn I'm officially turned on by The Cheshire Cat.

Yess, honey, trust Japanese people to turn some fantasy and mythical figure into bunch of cute and sexy men. And The Alice in here's not the little girl with blue dress and red ribbon we all knew. Alice here was a boy (a cute one) who forgot his own name and get lost in Wonderland with only the recollection of the name Cheshire Cat called him: Alice. Deciding that he can't lose the only thing he had, he finally made that name his, and would do anything to defend it.

Unlike the happy and funny mystery the original Alice tale, this manga explored and twisted into the more surrealistic and darker side of the story. The plot is so absurd you can't even start to wonder what's the main problem in this story. And every character appearance's just make the puzzle's become more massive by each chapter.

The art itself was splendid. I rarely stumbled into this kind of surrealistic art that I like. The last time I liking surrealistic art was when I read The King of Bandit Jing, and after that my longing for great, surrealistic art was deprived until I read Are You Alice? and I'm done with it.

So, no, dont even try to guess the plot when you red this story. Just enjoy where this beautiful story takes you with its twisted-sense of fairytale and amazing art.

Definitely 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Are You Alice? 1巻.