S.A. Partridge's Reviews > Inkarna

Inkarna by Nerine Dorman

Jul 17, 2012

bookshelves: horror, south-african

Inkarna is a modern horror that tackles Egyptian mythology and what happens when reincarnation goes wrong.

Elizabeth Rae Perry is a member of an ancient Egyptian cult who is about to die. She expects to reincarnate into the body of a three-year-old girl, but instead wakes up to a world she doesn’t recognise in the body of unscrupulous goth boy Ashton Kennedy who has more enemies than friends.

What I really liked about this book was the concept of a prim and proper elderly woman reincarnated into the body of a very, very bad man. Lizzy Perry’s attempts to come across as a confident young man are hilarious, especially when it comes to her interactions with Ash’s devoted girlfriend, but it was also extremely frightening because as a reader I couldn’t help but see myself in that situation, and to be honest, I have no idea what I would do. It was masterfully done.

Nerine’s knowledge of ancient Egyptian mythology was evident, and it worked well against the modern South African setting. Lizzy’s misadventures in a Cape Town she doesn’t recognise or understand is something many of us can identify with.

Poor Lizzy has to deal with a rival cult out to destroy her, a vengeful ghost, and a string of damaged people left in Ash’s wake. It’s an exciting ride that will leave you feeling the effects for days after.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inkarna.