Deborah Burrows's Reviews > Night Beach

Night Beach by Kirsty Eagar

May 17, 2012

Read in May, 2012

Eagar writes very well and her descriptions of the sea and of the surfing community worked. The book was very Australian, which I enjoyed also. I enjoyed being part of Abbie's journey. I thought that Abbie was a very real character, and I sympathised with her feelings of exclusion from her family, and her friends. I liked that she was sometimes not all that likeable, but that she developed strength of character as the novel progressed.

I enjoyed the 'crush' aspect and I could understand her fascination with 'bad boy' Kane, although he never came alive for me in the way that Abbie's mother, or even little Joey did. I must admit to some annoyance when Abbie compared situations to paintings she had seen and I had to google-image them to appreciate what Eager was getting at. On the plus side, I saw some interesting art.

As a horror story I was less impressed. I never really feared the shadow, and although we were told how scared Abbie was of what she was experiencing I didn't enter into that fear. I never had a real sense of Abbie being in immediate danger.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Beach.