♥Rachel♥'s Reviews > Circle of Silence

Circle of Silence by Carol M. Tanzman

Jul 25, 12

bookshelves: netgalley-e-book
Read from July 21 to 23, 2012

This was heart poundingly good!

Seventeen year-old Valerie Gaines prime focus in life is to find and amazing news story that will propel her into the college of her dreams. Being a news reporter is a goal she’s been working on since the eighth grade. So when a series of bizarre school pranks happens, Valerie thinks she may have struck reporter gold. The first and second pranks seem harmless but the third one hints at more sinister things to come, and they are all signed by MP. Who or what is MP? This is what Valerie and her teammates on Campus News set out to discover. However, just when Valerie thinks she has everything under control, her ex-boyfriend, Jagger, unexpectedly enrolls into the class and is assigned to her team. Just what does he think he’s playing at? He’s the one who ruined things. Valerie will not let him distract her from getting what she’s worked so hard for. And, she’s not about to let her heart be broken again!

Valerie was an easy character to connect with, and you get caught up in the mystery trying to figure out things right along with her. In spite of knowing that Jagger ruined his relationship with Valerie by kissing another girl, I ended up loving him. I know, I know! Don’t make that face, let me explain. Jagger knew he screwed up majorly and Valerie doesn’t just let him have a free pass. She busts his chops for a bit and then they end up moving beyond the past, and becoming friends again BEFORE anything romantic was even a suggestion. Jagger wasn’t in a good place when he made a stupid choice, but I like the fact that he owned up to his mistake instead of trying to make excuses. That’s the best way to handle a bad choice, and a great lesson for anyone. That being said, the romance in this story was not the main focus. Figuring out the mystery behind MP before the pranks turn deadly is the center of this story. While I seriously suspected one person’s involvement, I was surprised at some of the revelations. There is a wonderful secondary cast of characters, including Valerie’s large family and her teammates on the Campus News.

I thoroughly enjoyed this suspenseful thrill ride. The ending really had me at the edge of my seat, and I couldn’t put this book down! I couldn’t keep my eyes open last night and at 68%. I had to go to bed! So I woke up and started reading and was late going into work because of it!! Let’s hope no one there reads this review! This story was the companion novel in the WiHi series by Ms. Tanzman. While there are some characters from the first story that pop up, you don’t have to read dancergirl first to enjoy Circle of Silence.

Thank you to Netgalley and Harlequin Teen for allowing me to read this.

You can read this review and more at
The Readers Den.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Circle of Silence.

07/23/2012
68.0% "Before I can say "I'm fine," his arms circle me. Omigod! I've forgotten what it's like to be this close to him. The body wash, or aftershave or whatever he uses that smells so good. The way my head reaches the soft part just below his shoulder. The shift as he leans into me, creating tiny bolts of lightening at every spot his body touches. Even though I know I should, I can't push away."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jasprit (new)

Jasprit This sounds like a fun companion to Dancergirl, I think I may have fallen for Jagger too despite the mistakes he made! And you were late to work because of this? normally I stay up until in the early hours and then can never get up! Lovely review Rachel, sounds like a book I must check out! :)

♥Rachel♥ Thanks Jasprit. Thanks usually what I do too but I could not keep my eyes open for some reason. It's been really hot out here so maybe that's one reason why. But yep, I was late to work! :)

message 3: by Aa'Ishah (new)

Aa'Ishah I've seen these books on here before but I was never particularly interested in reading them. Thanks for changing my mind Rachel! This is a fab review. :)

♥Rachel♥ Thanks! Now that I changed your mind, I hope you like them as much as I did, Aa'Ishah! No pressure, right? Lol! :)

message 5: by Aa'Ishah (new)

Aa'Ishah None whatsoever. ;) I'm sure it'll be fine lol. :P

message 6: by Sam (new)

Sam Great review, Rachel! I'm glad you mentioned that the first book doesn't have to be read to understand this one. I may just go for this one first before the galley disappears. ;)

♥Rachel♥ I hope you like it as much as me, Sam!! And thanks. :)

message 8: by Hilda (new)

Hilda LOL, I love the part that you were late to work because of this book. It just shows how amazing this book is! x) Beautiful review, Rachel! <3

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Hilda! It really had me hooked at the end! :)

message 10: by Sonia (new) - added it

Sonia This sounds intriguing. I love mystery! Added to my pile. :-) Glad to know that it is not necessary to read Dancergirl before reading Circle of Silence. Great review as always, Rachel! :-)

♥Rachel♥ Thank you my dear! If you like mystery, I think you'll really enjoy this one, Sonia. It keeps you on the edge of your seat. :)