Aaron's Reviews > The Last Wish

The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski

May 17, 12

bookshelves: fantasticliterature
Read in May, 2012

Think about a fantasy book. Think about your favorite fantasy book. Chances are, it included elves or maybe dwarves. It probably had knights or something like them. It was, most likely, heavily influenced by Tolkien, or his successors, and it was probably based, at least in part, on a certain Anglo-saxon, or maybe French, sort of medieval culture. And if you read fantasy, there's probably 15 or so more like it on your bookshelf or your e-reader of choice.

So here's my recommendation: put down Lord of the Rings. You've already read it. Put aside that new George R. R. Martin. It'll give him a chance to write a little further ahead, and you'll get a chance to read it again before the next one comes out. Set aside your Jordan, your Eddings or even your Pratchett. Do it, just for a little while. Just for the 2 days or so that it will take you to devour a series of short stories that have a totally different flavor. The stories of Geralt, the Witcher, professional monster hunter, sorcerer, swordsman and mutant. And you should do it for the same reason that you shouldn't have the exact same food at every meal. These short stories will leave you wanting so much more, and by the time you put it down, your last wish will be for the rest of the series to finally be translated from Polish to English so you can find out what happens next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Wish.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi Great review...do you think having played the Witcher games will detract from the experience of reading this collection...or enhance it?

Aaron I only started reading the books because of the games, actually. I certainly don't think that they will detract from the books (although you may hear all of Geralt's dialog in the voice of Doug Cockle (who voiced Geralt in the games). I don't think that's a bad thing, personally. I'm currently reading Baptism of Fire (which is the 4th book), which I had to send off to England to get. I'll post reviews of the others in the series eventually.

message 3: by Joseph (new) - added it

Joseph I definitely hear Doug Cockle when Geralt has dialogue. It's a good thing!

Martyna loved this review!!