Lorretta's Reviews > A Cup of Friendship

A Cup of Friendship by Deborah Rodriguez

May 22, 12

Read from May 17 to 22, 2012

I received this through the GoodReads Giveaway.

I really enjoyed this book for several reasons. It was a fairly quick read, written in a breezy but not frivolous manner. The author is able to create a vivid landscape of a foreign country, people, and emotions without dragging unnecessary words into the equation.

I like books that transport me to a place I have never been and this one easiy transported me to Kabul. I felt like I could feel the cold, see the colors and smell the odors. I was pleased to read little tidbits of cultural information that enriched the story and offered insight into the Afghani culture and lifestyle.

Sunny has opened a coffeeshop in Kabul and it has been running with some success. In order to gain UN sanction and thus more customers, she needs to build a wall to protect the customers and shop.

She tries to juggle talks of women issues, movie nights, etc. to come up with the money for the wall. As if that is not enough, she realizes she is probably in love with another man and not the one she is waiting for.

She is housing/employng a young pregnant Afghani girl whose husband was killed. She ran away from men who would sell her as a third wife or prostitue. Sunny pretends she doesn't know the girl is pregnant but will protect her at all cost.

The landlady of Sunny's coffhouse has been receiving letters from a man for years. She cannot read, but treasures each letter. If her son, who works as a guard for the coffeeshop, finds out, he could claim dishonor.

In this novel, we find that most Afghans just want to have a normal life, are not crazed religious fanatics, do not hate women and wish for better times. However, the men are really stuck between a rock and a hard place when violence comes so easily and the fanatics are making decisions for the masses. The choices the men and women in this book are hard, interesting and sometimes uplifting.

This did not take very long to read at all. If you have a longish flight or a good lazy day, I encourage you to read this book. It is worth your attention.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Cup of Friendship.