Stephen's Reviews > Main Street

Main Street by Sinclair Lewis

May 17, 12

Read in May, 2012

Not sure why I chose this book other than I picked it up for 2 bucks at the Brattle Book Shop in Boston. It is a classic, good price and I live in a very small town in VT. That in and of itself is ironic; with a Master's Degree in City Planning, you'd think I would embrace high-city living. Did that and it is not all it's cracked up to be but moving to VT is a different story. Main Street is a good read for someone, like me who has seen both sides of the same coin. Yes city living is exciting, but small town living is enjoyable from a different perspective and I can honestly say, small town living is my preference. I love to visit the big city, but returning not only to Brandon, but VT has significant rewards.

This is the story of a big city girl who marries a small town doctor and her attempts to bring culture to the small town. What it comes down to for me - big city people are pretentious and arrogant, small town people are narrow-minded and meek, neither is good or bad, it is how it is. Both feel they are better than you - if they view you as neither. I know people from both sides and like most of them.

I enjoyed the book and recommend it, for the serious reader or strictly for enjoy. My copy had a well-written and informative Introduction & Notes by Brook Allen, a Barnes & Noble Classic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Main Street.