Amanda (Born Bookish)'s Reviews > Meant to Be

Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill

May 17, 2012

Read from July 09 to 10, 2012

Author Lauren Morrill bursts onto the contemporary YA scene with an unforgettable debut novel that will leave you begging for more.

Meant To Be is a lighthearted and humorous love story set against the beautiful backdrop of London. This was a read-in-one-sitting kind of book. I started it in the late afternoon and read until I could barely keep my eyes open, finishing at 1:15AM. It was THAT good!

I knew I was going to like this book as early as page 23. The writing style and main character’s voice was instantly likable and oh, so funny!

The chapter titles were really cute and under each one was a text message (texting plays a big role in this story).

The whole story takes place in the span of a 10-day school trip abroad to the city of London. The details of London were so vivid, and rich I loved reading about all the museums and places they visited for school. I mean who doesn’t want to visit London?!

The main character, Julia, is a rule follower. Her bag is full of travel guides marked with hundreds of color-coded sticky notes and her idea of fun is sitting home and reading Shakespeare. Julia was such a unique and totally awesome character! She may get made fun of for her obsessive organization and being a stickler for the rules but I found these things made me like her even more, maybe because I could relate. I would rather sit home and read than go out partying. My day planner is color coded, and I’m quite the rule follower myself.

As for the leading male, Jason, he’s loud, obnoxious, and a perpetual flirt. At first I really didn’t like Jason but soon enough I found myself falling for him just like Julia. He’s funny, adventurous, and even likeable one you get to know him.

In conclusion, this has been one of my favorite YA books of the year all time, and I recommend that everyone go out and get a copy right now! I've had my own copy pre-ordered since July, that's how good it is

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Meant to Be.

07/09/2012 page 77