Lydia Presley's Reviews > Shadow and Bone

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

May 23, 2012

bookshelves: fiction, young-adult, fantasy, 2012
Read from May 22 to 23, 2012

Shadow and Bone is pure, unadulterated, guilty pleasure. I seriously devoured this book in just a few hours. It's fantasy, but fantasy that appeals to the little girl inside of me - fantasy that has my toes tingling and my imagination whirling with images, ideas, and romance.

Alina and Mal are orphans, tested early while under the protection of a good Duke, for Grisha abilities. Grisha's are a sort of sorcerer - each has an ability they are fantastic at, and they are separated according to those abilities.

The orphans and the Grisha's are thrown together to create a story that is compelling and interesting. This is easily a book I'd throw into the "book crack" category along with several other well-known titles, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it catch on with other readers and bloggers.

That all said, it's not meant to be taken seriously. After all, this is fantasy, folks. The stereotyping can get a little annoying, but it wasn't enough to pull me from the strength of the story, and I don't know enough about Russian culture to catch any flaws. That said, I did thoroughly enjoy seeing a fantasy that was set in a type of country different than the normal (Hi King Arthur throwbacks).

This book is being released the early part of June, and I only recommend you pick it up if you have the time to devote to it - because you might just find yourself, like me, unable to put it down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow and Bone.