Angela's Reviews > Daniel Deronda Tv Tie In

Daniel Deronda Tv Tie In by George Eliot

Sep 25, 08

bookshelves: adoption, fiction, mystery, romance, like-movie, regency
Read in September, 2008, read count: 1

This is a powerful and beautifully written novel, led by a main character who seemed everything right to me from the very first moment he is introduced to us. Daniel's personality is one of intense compassion and pathos.

I felt early on that the hardest thing for me to bear was his having to share the book with a "heroine" so entirely opposite of him in designs, history, and temperament. I understand the desirable foil of the two characters, but spending such a large portion of the beginning of the book on her pettiness, entirely unrelated to Deronda, left me bored enough that I considered setting the book aside.

I am very glad that I didn't! The intricate plot and and inherent mystery were very rewarding and the character of Deronda continued to be exactly as I hoped in every detail. Even Gwendolyn came to be a lovely, tragic piece of womanhood to me. Her character arc from selfishness to humiliation seemed all the more real for its being a slow and complex evolution.

In any case, the book is well worth the read, despite being so long: by the time I was two-thirds though the book, I could hardly put it down!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daniel Deronda Tv Tie In.

Quotes Angela Liked

George Eliot
“Let my body dwell in poverty, and my hands be as the hands of the toiler; but let my soul be as a temple of remembrance where the treasures of knowledge enter and the inner sanctuary is hope.”

George Eliot
“No evil dooms us hopelessly except the evil we love, and desire to continue in, and make no effort to escape from. ”

George Eliot
“For what is love itself, for the one we love best? - an enfolding of immeasurable cares which yet are better than any joys outside our love.”