Pavarti Tyler's Reviews > Stuck

Stuck by Lissette E. Manning

May 17, 12

Read in May, 2012

A beautiful piece, Stuck is a perfect proof of concept of the work Manning is capable of. The descriptions are beautiful, intentions clear and writing poetic without ever crossing over into self-indulgent. A rare piece of work, this short piece is definitely worth the read. I only had one issue with the plot which was I couldn't understand why Annie's husband didn't go out to forage. She says at one point that he "can't" and that he "wouldn't know what to look for," but the reason for that is never explained. I thought maybe he was handicapped or something, but then at the end it's clear that isn't the case.

Honestly, my biggest issue with Stuck had nothing to do with the piece itself. It's the fact that only 1/3 of the file was the story, the rest was a lead-in to another piece. While I have no problem with authors using one book to promote another, I felt a little jipped that I had expected a piece of a certain length and ended up with something so small it would barely fill a teacup. It was a beautiful, evocative and exceptionally crafted teacup, but still, it's just a teacup.

I would like to read something longer of Manning's. She's obviously quite talented. But I'm very glad I didn't pay for this niblet. In the end, I say download it next time you see it for free, it's worth reading and pick up something else by this author when you want to invest in an ebook.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stuck.