Christy's Reviews > Love Does: Discover a Secretly Incredible Life in an Ordinary World

Love Does by Bob Goff

Jul 25, 12

bookshelves: 2012, books-i-love, books-that-speak-to-my-heart, favorites
Read in July, 2012

I usually don't savor books. I am a fast reader and go through books pretty quickly.

However, once I started reading Love Does...I slowly savored it. I read a few chapters a day for the last week. I underlined and made notes and even re-read some sections.

It's the kind of book that deserves a slow read... a savoring. Why? Because it's everything a book should be. You get caught up in a story (Bob's) and it challenges you and inspires you and you end up wanting more from your story.

I first heard of Bob Goff after reading Donald Miller's A Million Miles in a Thousand Years and was immediately fascinated by this man. I found his website and became even more intrigues. An ordinary man living an extraordinary life. I started following him on twitter and some of his 140 character wisdom hit my heart hard.

So finding out he had a book coming...well I was giddy with excitement!

Love Does is a book that reminds is in a world where the power of the world love seems to be forgotten Bob Goff reminds us of the power that one word has.

Love. Does.

Bob is an enagaging writer and you will laugh out loud many times while reading his stories. Each chapters features one of his stories followed by what he has learned along the way. The stories will inspire you and the lessons will challenge you.

He takes you back to basics. Back to Jesus. And the simplicity of a man who while fully God and fully man lived an extraordinary life in so many ways just by doing one thing... Love. Bob then challenges us to be secretly extraordinary just as Jesus was.

One of the aspects of the books that really challenged me and yet touched my heart was how he reminds the reader we are forgiven...and we are worth so much more. He also challenged the reader to put themselves out there...the real us because He made us...and we are beautiful to Him.

His illustration using a painting is something that will stick with my heart for a long while and remind me... I was created by the most High God and I am extraordinary.

This book is the perfect book for my year of dare. (more coming on that!) As someone who struggles with what I am suppose to do and what my dreams are this book spoke directly to my heart. It's a reminder that it's time to stop using the excuses I have been using and just DO.

Because at the end of the day..simply put... LOVE. DOES.

I normally don't say this but... You must buy this book. MUST. I will be telling every person I know to buy it. Read it. And then... LIVE.

I must admit to being completely smitten with Bob Goff now (just like Donald Miller...haha!) and I am sure if I ever met him I would give him a huge hug and then blubber all over him.

My favorite take-away from the book:
"Every day God invites us on the same kind of adventure. It's not a trip where He sends us a rigid itinerary, He simply invites us. God asks what it is He's made us to love, what it is that captures our attention, what feeds that deep indescribable need of our souls to experience the richness of the world He made. And then, leaning over us, He whispers, "Let's go do that together."

(review from my blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Does.

Quotes Christy Liked