Gesse's Reviews > The Girl of Fire and Thorns

U_50x66
May 22, 12

bookshelves: novelties
Read from May 17 to 22, 2012

Gripped me from the beginning, which is rare in my limited experience as a Fantasy reader. Dragged a bit by the end with some plotting problems (a bunch of stuff, a bunch more stuff, and suddenly it's over!), but over-all solid world creation and a fairly light touch with the complexities of politics/religion/relationships.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl of Fire and Thorns.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Emily Yay! Glad you liked it. I agree that the pacing was a bit off, but I liked the flavor of the setting (i.e. NOT Anglo-Saxon).

Gesse Yeah, I had fun with all the Spanish words! Any other fantasy recs for me? I should probs read Graceling, huh?

Emily I like both of the other two (Fire and Bitterblue) better than Graceling, although you need to read Graceling to appreciate everything about Bitterblue. Maybe start with Fire, and then if you like it do Graceling and then Bitterblue?

Another new one I liked is Grave Mercy by the hilariously-named Robin LaFevers. Garth Nix's Abhorsen triology (Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen) is also awesome, or so my younger self thought.

Emily Also! I just read The Returning by Christine Hinwood. It was very un-fantasy fantasy, and you might like that too.