Michelle 's Reviews > Shapechanger's Song

Shapechanger's Song by Jennifer Roberson

May 17, 12

Read from May 17 to 18, 2012

Don't judge a book by it's cover, judge it by it's reviews. Lesson learned there. The death knell tolled on this book by the time I reached page 182, so I decided it wasn't worth the effort to finish.
Problem #1: I am not a feminist, but this girl was pretty much the most useless lump of a heroine I have ever had the misfortune to read about. All she does is run off to cry or sit around to wait for the men to decide what she is going to do. Absolutely no hint of independent thinking.
Problem #2: Lack of fidelity will never fly with me. "Oh honey, it wasn't my fault, it's my race's culture to have wives and mistresses. Now, let's get back to populating the race!" No. No no no no no. It is never okay, and that will kill my suspension of disbelief.
Problem #3: She takes him back! So, basically, she sleeps with one guy, he promises to marry her, they get back to the camp, he finds out his old girlfriend is single again, dumps Alix like yesterday's trash, finds out his old girlfriend's baby isn't his, and goes back to Alix, and she takes him back without making him grovel or anything. You know what I would have said? "Sorry, you lied to me so I don't trust you anymore. You cut my hair for no reason other than your own pettiness. And you know what? Talk is cheap. Actions matter, and your actions aren't really painting the picture of a guy I would want to spend my life with, let alone bear the child of. So I think I'm going to leave and find my own path, with a guy who actually deserves me. Have fun with your little skank." Was there any of that? Of course not. Have some self-respect girl. This is disgusting.
So, yeah, goodbye Cheysuli universe. I'm not even going to wait for you to improve.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shapechanger's Song.