Eileen's Reviews > Little Night

Little Night by Luanne Rice

May 17, 2012

it was ok
Read from June 25 to 28, 2012

Luanne Rice has long been one of my favorite authors and "Little Night" had promised such interesting storylines; Clare trying to save her sister Anne from an abusive monster, the dysfunction (understatement!) of Anne's family, Paul's relationship with Clare when their love forces them back together and even the "Birding" in Central Park was a subject I was looking forward to reading about. But with this book I have to accuse Luanne Rice of a pitfall other authors have fallen into-- falling in love with their own voices. She's such an amazing storyteller, I was surprised when she went off on what she may have thought were "poetic tangents" but to me came across as rambling distractions. Even in the climatic last few pages where THE character is getting ready to reveal ALL, she suddenly starts to wonder about words inscribed on a wall by persons in the past. I just wanted to snap my fingers and yell, excuse me...EXCUSE me! Unexplored characters, underdeveloped storylines and just plain odd. To me...a first for Luanne Rice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Night.