Stefani's Reviews > The Red Tent

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

Jul 24, 07

bookshelves: audiobook
Read in July, 2007

I suffered through this book...just because I felt like I'd started it, I may as well finish it. The "chick flick," of biblical revisionism...the "Ya ya sisterhood," of desert matriarchy.

It seemed to go on forever rewriting the histories of Jacon, Leah and Rachel...then elaborating on the amazing sisterhood and bonding that happens around the red tent...implying all the way that women have all the power, men take all the credit.

The writing finally became compelling upon the description of the deception and murder of Dinah's (Jacob's only daughter) husband (Prince of Shechem) father and all of the cities inhabitants.

It parallels the biblical story - and at the very least it reminded me of the inanity of the bible. Jacob, the deceiver of Abraham and Esau, somehow gets to be the father of the 12 tribes of Israel...what the fuck? God is a freak..obviously not big on integrity.

The ending made me wretch as well...the 100 Years of Solitude/Midnight's Children style ending where the main character sees a parade of his dead family members/loved ones leading him into the after-life.

YAWN.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Tent.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sarah I love reading your comments. You're no dummy.

I agree with you entirely on this book. Poorly written, full of hocus pocus newagely claptrap. The best part was Dinah and her husband and the betrayal and murder of all of his people. I went back and read the biblical chapters of that and it was damn accurate. Some how I skipped all that knowledge in bible school.

Stefani Thanks! Yah...I felt like I could have taken a biblical story then wrote it the way I wanted it written...How easy it would be to write a book!

I know there is nothing new under the suhn, but really!

True...the best part was reviewing the biblical portions and making sense of all the lessons I'd had in sunday school.

message 3: by M2 (new)

M2 Do you spend a lot of time in the car? You seem to listen to a lot of books.

Sarah Do I? No. I listen to them while i'm doing household chores because with child it's the only time I have to read. Interestingly I don't seem to remember them differently, in fact, I often forget if I've read it or listened to it.

message 5: by M2 (new)

M2 Interesting, Sarah. Being a bit of a dandy I run a pretty tidy little house m'self, natch, and so I spend considerable time on the weekends tidying up. I'll have to give audio-books a whirl at home. I have enjoyed several on long road trips. Do you download them as MP3s or buy them as discs? What's your preferred resource?

Stefani, what do you do that allows you to be able to listen to books?

Stefani I am an esthetician. While I am giving a facial there is a good 20 minutes + where my client is completely passed out.

Audio books work well because I can hear them speaking if they need anything, and they cannot hear music from my earphones.

Their eyes are closed and often covered with eyepads...no one has ever noticed or complained...they really don't need to know about me...if they are nervous and need to talk, well, for that client, I won't listen to an audiobook.

If I were giving a massage (I am also a CMT) I don't think I would want to listen to audiobooks. I have to be too in tune with the client.

message 7: by Bill (new)

Bill I also listen to a lot of audiobooks. I listen with earphones on my commute (I'd be wearing earplugs to block out the motorcycle noise anyway), I listen in the shower, doing dishes and other housework, and while doing errands, etc.

Stefani and I (and I think Sarah, too) make very liberal use of audible.com. We pre-purchased 12 "credits" -- 1 credit = 1 book -- and find it to be a huge bargain. Plus, as a member, the discounted price is often much cheaper than you might think.

Borrowing free audiobook CDs from the library is also a source that Stefani has been using a lot lately, but it can be tricky ripping them to your iPod in a way that's really useful (there are tricks, though).

If you'd like to dip your toe in the water, I'll give you my audible.com password, and you can download a few for free from my library of purchased books. Email me.

message 8: by Bill (new)

Bill Another point: The iPod has completely changed the paradigm for audiobooks. As Sarah says, I think of listening to the audiobook as identical to reading it in terms of how I engage with and remember the material. But with the iPod I'm freed to "read" almost anywhere, anytime.

I wish audible.com would invest more in usability for their website, or that iTunes would bring their audiobook pricing in line with audible's, because I imagine I'll be reading a *lot* of books this way for the rest of my life.

Sarah Yep, you got it. Audible.

I started using it when I was up at Harvard. Shabbir came up on the weekends to hang out and we wanted to do something at home together, but we didn't have a tv, so we would download books and listen to them together.

Stefani I listen to This American Life every week...usually, on one of my longer runs. I love it, and love that I don't have to listen on Saturday night...(no, I never used to listen on saturday night! I am always out!!) or Sunday morning..

message 11: by M2 (new)

M2 Heavens, Shabbir! You own a Television Machine? How gauche!