su's Reviews > A Queer and Pleasant Danger: The True Story of a Nice Jewish Boy Who Joins the Church of Scientology and Leaves Twelve Years Later to Become the Lovely Lady She is Today

A Queer and Pleasant Danger by Kate Bornstein

May 17, 2012

I've long been curious about what it's like to be a transgender person and have felt tremendous empathy for what seems like an intensely difficult and invalidating growing up / self actualization process. I can't imagine how challenging it is to have your body and all its hormonal processes be so at odds with how you genuinely feel, like you're trapped in a prison that's moving around with you wherever you go.

Kate Bornstein's life is so full of statistical improbabilities that a book about any part of her life experience would have been fascinating:

She grew up a Jewish boy in New Jersey, became a top ranking scientologist, was excommunicated, then emerged as the transgendered activist she is today.

She writes with an engaging, intimate, honest voice. I only wish she might have gone into more detail about any part of her experiences, but given how much she had to cover, I can understand why she only writes a few chapters about each part of her life. I'm impressed by her honesty and courage.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Queer and Pleasant Danger.