Anna's Reviews > Why We Broke Up

Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler

F 50x66
May 17, 2012

Daniel Handler's Why We Broke Up is definitely one of the best YA novels available. Told through a series of letters from a high school girl to her ex-boyfriend, it documents the entire course of their relationship, from an awkward meeting to a tear-filled breakup.
Heroine Minerva "Min" Green is a quiet film enthusiast who keeps mostly to herself and her small circle of friends. Ed Slaterton is a popular basketball player. Their relationship provokes controversy within their respective social groups.
Daniel Handler's excellent characterization is the backbone of the story. Min's letters, which grow increasingly regretful in tone as the book progresses, sound like they were written by a real, albeit precocious, teenage girl as opposed to an adult observer. Handler's depiction of the turbulent world of high school social politics is similarly realistic - everyone has had an experience similar to the traumatic Halloween party that Min attends shortly before the eponymous breakup occurs.
In conclusion, Why We Broke Up is one of my favorite books and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in the subject matter. Handler's solid voice and characterization are the backbone of an absolutely flawless novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why We Broke Up.